VCDC provides extensive technical assistance to our partners throughout the development process. This assistance, which can be formal and structured or informal and ongoing, is tailored to your needs. We provide most of these services to our partners at no cost.
VCDC believes that offering technical assistance is critical to the pursuit of our mission—and yours.
- A first-time project. A relatively new, community-based nonprofit partner serving households with special needs in an urban market undertook its first multi-family development on a vacant urban lot. VCDC helped this organization navigate the local government’s land use process to secure Low-Income Housing Tax Credits and implement the project.
- A new type of project. A relatively new, community-based nonprofit partner with a track record of developing a small, multi-family project secures site control for a parcel with nearly 30 acres. Over half of a decade, this partner worked tirelessly to successfully develop housing in three different phases. VCDC supported this partner by evaluating project feasibility, supporting communications with its Board of Directors, securing funding sources, meeting with local government and community officials, and negotiating contracts, among other activities.
- Public housing reinvestment. Facing diminishing federal resources, a local housing authority undertook an evaluation of its public housing portfolio. VCDC staff participated in the authority’s assessment team that selected two projects for immediate reinvestment and VCDC assisted the authority in securing resources for reinvestment.
- Renovation using Historic Tax Credits. A community-based cultural institution is working with state and local government to renovate a vacant building to serve as a new home for its operations. VCDC helped to establish a project structure that would allow utilization of Historic Tax Credits and arranged for an investment in the project based on the availability of these credits.
- Applications for tax credits. Over the years, VCDC has worked closely with its partners to prepare dozens of successful applications for Low-Income Housing Tax Credits and applications for permanent financing and grants.