Even the most seasoned investors benefit from VCDC’s partnership—we lay the groundwork, provide ongoing asset management, and maintain the reserves to ensure your resources consistently deliver returns on your investment and returns to the communities you serve. Our investor partners include national, regional, and local for-profit private-sector financial institutions and corporations.
VCDC has invested more than $600 million in equity over 34 separate funds, which has helped to finance more than 7,500 units of affordable rental housing in over 180 different communities.
VCDC housing and historic investment funds offer advantages over other methods of tax credit investing. VCDC funds ensure:
- Diversified risk. Funds invest in multiple regions in the state and with multiple types of sponsors and developers.
- Multiple levels of reserves. Three layers of reserves—project, fund, and corporate— safeguard the investor from underperforming properties.
- Diversified development types. Developments include housing for families, the elderly, and veterans, and supportive housing communities. The properties may be new construction, renovation, or both.
- CRA consideration. VCDC funds invest around the state and offer positive consideration for the CRA investment test.
The VCDC Difference
- Unparalleled performance. For more than 25 years, every tax credit fund VCDC has managed has exceeded the targeted rate of return. And despite the ups and downs of the real estate market, no property in any of our funds has gone into foreclosure and no VCDC investor has ever had a tax credit recaptured.
- Local connection. VCDC is the only Virginia-based tax credit equity fund. Our development staff has a combined 85 years of experience developing affordable housing in every region of the state. We know first-hand the communities we work in and the organizations we work with. We regularly visit our properties during development, construction, lease-up, and throughout the 15 years of compliance.
- Hands-on approach. VCDC has a thorough understanding of every project in which we invest. Our community-driven, hands-on approach is something no other equity provider can replicate. Often, we work with project sponsors years before construction of a property begins. Our development team has helped our partners complete applications, structure deal terms, secure gap financing, and solve underwriting issues long before our Funds make an investment.
- Asset management expertise. One of the greatest values we offer investors is our asset management and compliance Because of our expertise, VCDC has never experienced a tax credit recapture in our more than 25-year history. We monitor property performance and manage the intricacies of the 15-year IRS compliance period so that our investors do not have to worry about it.
- Community impact. We intentionally pursue partnerships with community-based groups developing projects to meet specific needs in the locality. We ardently share their values and engage them as true partners. The result: high-impact developments that are the catalysts for revitalizing distressed communities throughout the state.
- An Investor Relations team you can depend on. VCDC’s Investor Relations team works to be part of your team. We’re here to serve existing investors’ needs for information, to identify new investors, and to plan for new fund offerings. We promptly respond to inquiries, and we strive to ensure you’re able to access the online data you need, when you need it. As an investor, should you ever encounter a challenge, we’ll work to eliminate the issue as quickly as possible.